2016 Professional Standards Training
The Heart of the Profession
The NAR Code of Ethics* lies at the heart of being a REALTOR®. Since its adoption in 1913, the Code has promoted time-honored principles that are generally defined as:
- Loyalty to clients
- Fiduciary duty to clients
- Cooperation with competitors
- Truthfulness in statements and advertising and non-interference in exclusive relationships that other REALTORS® have with their clients.
*2016 version, effective January 1, 2016; changes are underlined. Read a summary of 2016 changes.
REALTOR® members who violate the Code of Ethics can be subject to sanctions by their local Association through procedures established by NAR.
- If you believe another REALTOR® has violated the code or the law there are various ways you can attempt to resolve the complaint.
- Basic information on those professional standards procedures are available here,
- PAR is responsible for enforcing the Code of Ethics for 30 local boards/associations as part of the Statewide Professional Standards Cooperative. To report a potential violation of the Code involving a member of the following Associations contact PAR at 1.800.555.3390.
- If the REALTOR® is not a particpant of the Statewide Professional Standards Cooperative contact your local association to report a potential violation of the Code.
- Remember -- potential legal violations are handled by the State Real Estate Commission, not the local association.